- Department of Education secretary nominee Betsy DeVos’s Senate confirmation hearing was Tuesday.
- Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) described an experience contrasting proficiency to growth and used that to ask DeVos for her views on the debate. DeVos couldn’t answer the question. Read more
- Also during her confirmation hearing, DeVos cited grizzly bears as why the federal government not to take action against guns in schools.
- DeVos said in Wyoming, “I’d imagine there’s a gun in the school to protect from potential grizzlies.”
- One Wyoming teacher explained to Mic that fences and bear spray are used to ward off bears. Read more
- Lily Eskelsen Garcia, president of the National Education Association, said in an interview that DeVos is unqualified and has the wrong vision for the nation’s schools.
- “I don’t think you will find one human being who could actually point to something who could say, ‘Because she did this, it really improved those traditional, neighborhood public schools,” Garcia said. “What you’re seeing here is a trainwreck waiting to happen.” Read more
And she’s probably getting the job regardless.
via Tumblr http://ift.tt/2jaiEUf